Remember my Shredded Carrot and Fennel Salad earlier this week? I used the left overs to make a version of Heidi Swanson’s Kale Market Salad for a weeks worth of hearty lunches. Right after reading her post, I found a bunch of kale in our breakroom at work, and realized I had the rest of the ingredients at home to make this come together. Have I mentioned that we almost have a “work CSA” with all of the people who bring in extra produce? It’s quite amazing.
For this salad, I really like the creamy avocado in the dressing and the nutty farro makes this seem like so much more than just another veggie salad.
Farro, Kale and Fennel Salad:
- Green Garlic Dressing:
- 2 stalks green garlic (or scallions), rinsed and chopped (~1/4 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup / 80 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons ripe avocado
- 1 teaspoon honey, or to taste
- fresh pepper to taste
- Salad Components:
- 1/2 bunch kale, destemmed, torn into pieces
- 1 cup cooked farro or wheat berries (semi-pearled or whole)
- 4-5 farmers’ market carrots, very thinly sliced
- 1 small bulb of fennel, transparently sliced
- ~1/4 feta cheese, crumbled
- a big handful of almond slices, toasted
- a big handful of roasted sunflower seeds
In a large bowl combine the kale and dressing, and massage it a bit with your hands to tenderize the kale. Add the remaining ingredients and toss well to dress everything. Drizzle with additional lemon juice if desired. Enjoy!